Eco-Friendly Slippers For a Sustainable Lifestyle
Eco-friendly slippers are perfect for those who enjoy sustainable living. We combine natural materials, green initiatives and local production to make our slippers as environmentally friendly as possible - it is the Giesswein way.
Table of Contents:
What Are Eco-Friendly Slippers?
Eco-friendly slippers mean that they are produced with the environment in mind. The goal is to create products that have a less adverse impact on the environment. Which is why natural resources, sustainable production, and ethical practices all come into play. Giesswein eco-friendly wool slippers are made from 100% virgin wool. This pure wool is never wasted, not even a single scrap! We reuse all of our materials into new products.
Climate change has become a vital issue which needs to be tackled. Globally, the world looks to reduce carbon emissions in order to protect the precious environment we live in. By turning to more sustainable means, such as eco-friendly slippers, we’d still like to do more for the planet. By combining ethical animal welfare practices, recycling and sourcing natural materials, we can focus more on a greener future. Additionally, our eco-friendly slippers have even been featured on Sustainable Jungle.
Recycle, Recycle, Recycle
Giesswein was actually the first company in Austria to introduce a water recycling facility. We did this in 1997 and have not looked back since. As we do not add any chemicals into our water production, we recycle up to 90% of all water we use. This is just part of our commitment to our green strategy. Recycling water helps our products maintain their high-quality, as well as saving water in the process. Virgin wool is a key ingredient that makes our slippers special. We’d hate to waste all the brilliant attributes it brings! So in keeping with our Zero Waste Policy, any wool scrap material that does not get used during our production process, is recycled and integrated into other products.
We Say No to Mulesing Here
In your Giesswein eco-friendly slippers you will never find wool that has been involved in mulesing. Mulesing is when the skin is removed from the rear of a sheep without anesthetization. The thought behind this method is to put a stop to flies laying their larvae on the sheep. At Giesswein, we say no to mulesing. In fact, we are 100% against using it. Animal protection is incredibly important to us as a company. We opt for a more sheep-friendly alternative for all of our products including our eco-friendly slippers.
In the likes of Patagonia and Uruguay, this type of fly infestation does not exist. As a result, wool from this region is mulesing-free. We use merino wool from farms in Uruguay to ensure that our products are of a high-quality. Animal welfare standards are constantly checked and tested, and we have contracts in place with partners to guarantee that the wool we source is mulesing free. This ensures our customers that their eco-friendly slippers are sustainably sourced.
Eco-Friendly Slippers for All Seasons
We have been producing virgin wool slippers since 1974. It was actually Grandma Giesswein who came up with the idea. Since then, this footwear has become a huge part of our slipper story and continues to be one of our most popular sellers. Even back then, material waste was being kept to a minimum and reused as much as possible. Today, our processes for our eco-friendly slippers are even more efficient!
Our slippers are made from 100% virgin wool. Even the support insole is made from 100% virgin wool. As we do not add anything such as harsh chemicals to our wool, it is also 100% compostable. Combined with a patented anti-slip sole made from flexible natural rubber that offers excellent grip, we ensure a high-quality production from start to finish. Coupled with a rigorous fabric and water recycling process, and local production, we strive to make our slippers as environmentally-friendly as possible.
How We Strive To Be Environmentally Friendly
Choosing sustainable resources is at the heart of the Giesswein operation. In our green strategy, we have outlined all the steps we continually take to make our processes as sustainable as possible.
The Giesswein team are exceptionally proud of these five highlights of our sustainable production process:
- Local production in the heart of Europe: All of our production takes place 100% in Austria. Our wool manufacturing facility is located in Brixlegg, in the heart of Austrian Tyrol. From design to manufacturing to shipping, team Giesswein in Brixlegg take care of each step of the production process. This helps keep our ecological footprint of wool production as small as can be.
- 100% merino wool: We exclusively use Merino wool from small farms that meet our high standards of animal welfare and wool quality. All of our wool partners hold the mulesing-free certificate.
- No oil use: Since 2017, we now use 100% renewable resources. We don’t use fossil fuels in heating and operating our production facilities, and that our machinery is operated with zero emissions.
- No wasted material: Every scrap of merino wool that is left over from our wool production process is recycled and integrated into other products.
- We recycle up to 90 of water: We implemented the first water recycling production facility in Austria in 1997. We don’t add any chemicals to the water during the wool production process which means we can recycle and reuse up to 90% of the water used. By doing so, we maintain a sustainable water usage system, which saves precious water resources.